Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Exploring the Yoga Tradition part 2!


Mark your calendar!  The second of Annie Barrett’s “Exploring the Yoga Tradition ” workshops is coming Feb 9 at 2-4:30 p.m.  Here’s more if you’d like to take part in this rich workshop. Make sure to return to the website to pre-register. 
YL:  I wanted to go to Part 1, but I missed it.  Can I still attend Part 2? 
AB: Absolutely!  The content presented in Part 2 is different from that of Part 1.  The second can be a stand-alone class.
YL:  Is there something I missed in the first workshop that would be helpful for my attendance in the second part of the series?
AB: In the first presentation, I detailed the most ancient teachings and texts of the yoga tradition.  However, it is not necessary to have this knowledge in order to benefit and enjoy Part 2.  In Part 2, I will review some key concepts from the previous presentation and I will provide a timeline that will place these ancient texts and teachings in context as we move into the Classical Yoga and up through to the modern era. 
Q: In essence, what will we hear in the second part? 
AB: In Part 2, my aim is to present an overview of the philosophical teachings and practices of the Yoga Sutra of Patañjali, which is the root text of the yoga tradition. I will discuss how these teachings and practices are taken up and are expanded upon in the Post Classical Yoga traditions of Tantra, Hatha Yoga, and Modern Postural Yoga.  I will also highlight the key figures in yoga of the past century.  As in the previous workshop, participants will enjoy practices such as chanting, asana, (movement) and meditation.
 YL: You're offering some movement in this workshop.  Tell us a bit about your asana style? 
AB: The workshop will begin with asana (yoga postures) as this is the gateway into the yoga tradition for most Westerners.  The type of asana I teach comes mainly from the Anusara tradition. It has roots in Tantra and in which I spent 14 years studying and practicing.  Prior to that, I studied and practiced Iyengar yoga.  My style is alignment based and heart-oriented.  For me, yoga is the practice of stepping fully into one's body, mind and heart.  Yoga is a path in which we learn to confront and embrace ourselves fully - our bodies, emotions, thoughts, challenges and joys, and via the tools of profound practice move more and more toward a stabilized condition of well-being and expansive freedom.
YL:  What else should we know? 
AB: My desire is that this workshop will spark enthusiasm for exploring more of the greater yoga tradition.  Asana (postural yoga) is wonderful and vital. There is a world beyond asana.  I hope participants gain exposure to and a basic understanding of the central concepts and practices of yoga through the ages, thereby gaining a greater understanding of the context of their yoga practice today. 
by Doug Adamson 

No comments:

Post a Comment